The HELM Programme
Category: GP - Other
Date: March 20th 2014 until July 4th 2014
Location: Deanery House, Bristol BS16 1GW
- There is frequently a lack of understanding about management, NHS finances and health economics amongst postgraduate medical trainees. This can carry forward into careers following being appointed as a Consultant, GP, Staff Doctor or Associate Specialist.
- Similarly there is often a lack of understanding about the role of managers including the pressures and obligations they face – in fact there can be a mistrust, which again may carry on later. This lack of understanding is sometimes mutual and NHS managers often do not fully comprehend or understand the duties, responsibilities and commitments of medical trainees and qualified doctors.
The Aims of the HELM Programme are to
- identify and develop aspirational leaders
- develop collaborative working to meet organisational goals – encouraging movement away from the ‘them and us’ mentality.
- create understanding of strategic thinking and project management.
- develop improved knowledge of healthcare economics, changes and the future for the NHS .
- Provide an opportunity for exposure to leadership coaches and strategic NHS and Business leaders.
The Programme itself is
- efficient and practical
- modular – building up to a desired level of accreditation including CPD points to Masters degree level
- based around knowledge of:
- change management
- NHS finance
- health economics
- influencing and strategic thinking
- leadership thinking and actions
- accredited by Keele University
- delivered by Keele, Great Western Hospital, Severn Postgraduate Medical Education, Clinicians and top level NHS Directors and managers
- project based
- rated highly with excellent feedback - ‘IT OPENED MY EYES TO THE ENVIRONMENT THAT I WORK IN’
The organisation of the programme is:
- flexible, practical & project based
- a 6 day programme that leads to CPD points
- extendable to a number of additional levels:
- multidisciplinary - designed for Consultants and Postgraduate Medical Trainees but also suitable for all health care professionals.
The programme options and costs are:
Module 1 Becoming An Effective Leader
20/21 March 2014
Day One – Leadership in context
Day Two – The Effective Leader
Module 2 Managing The Business
6/7 May 2014
Day Three – The NHS In Context
Day Four – Finance And Commissioning NHS Services
Module 3 Innovation & Strategy in Healthcare
3/4 July 2014
Day Five – Creativity And Innovation
Day Six – Project Presentation/Practical Leadership Skills
Basic 6 Day Programme = 36 Cpd Points
£745 (£195 For Severn And Peninsula Trainees)
(P/G Award)= 36 Cpd Points & 30 Masters Credits
£1145 (£695 For Severn And Peninsula Trainees)
= Option 1 + Project Assessment + Assignment
(P/G Certificate) = 36 Cpd Points & 60 Masters Credits
£1595 (£1145 For Severn And Peninsula Trainees)
= Option 1 + Option 2 + Additional Module From Keele
Venue: Deanery House, Bristol, BS16 1GW
For Contact Information And Further Details:
Contact Luke Newman for further Details Tel: 01793 604432