Who can apply
There are two parts to this scheme for qualified GPs:
- Induction for doctors who have never worked as an NHS GP
- Refresher for those who have not worked in NHS general practice for more than two years and wish to return to work in England. This is made up of:
- The I&R Assessment Review Route- This includes a Career Review Interview, multiple choice questionnaire- MCQ Assessment, Simulated Surgery and a GP Placement in a Surgery / work-based assessments.
- The I&R Portfolio Route - A new streamlined route which may speed up the process has been introduced for GPs with previous UK experience, and who have been working in a similar role overseas. This allows applicants to supply a portfolio of documents that demonstrates their skills have been maintained whilst overseas and to complete the majority of their assessments while still overseas.
Anyone who wishes to practice as a GP in England and who has not practiced within the past 24 months will need to register their interest and be:
- medically qualified and have completed formal training as a general practitioner in the UK (CCT), approved EU qualification or hold a Certificate of Eligibility for GP Registration (CEGPR)
- on the GMC GP Register, without GMC conditions or undertakings (except those relating solely to health matters) and hold a current licence to practice as a GP
- able to work or hold a visa that permits you to work in the UK
- granted approval by NHS England to be included on the National Medical Performers List (NMPL) with conditions that permit completion of the GP I&R scheme for the standard set of conditions. Doctors with conditions related to performance or concerns are managed under separate NHS England guidelines.
Please refer to the GPNRO website for more information about applying.