How do I prepare for the ARCP?
The requirements for an ARCP Panel have been changed to reflect the new WPBA schedule bought in since August 2020. Updated guidance, including WPBA requirements, can be found on the RCGP website: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/training/mrcgp-workplace-based-assessment-wpba.aspx
You can also find further information about the arrangements for the transition to the new WPBA programme here: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/training/mrcgp-workplace-based-assessment-wpba/transition-arrangements.aspx
Please note the following:
- WPBAs were frozen during the COVID-19 emergency schedule in operation between 01.02.20 and 05.08.2020. Trainees are not expected to “catch up” on any WPBAs from this period.
- If you are following the old WPBA programme until your next transition date, e.g. moving from ST2 to ST3, the WPBA requirements can be found here: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/training/mrcgp-workplace-based-assessment-wpba/old-programme-requirements.aspx
- If you moved to the new WPBA programme from August 2020, the WPBA requirements can be found here: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/training/new-wpba/assessment-requirements.aspx
- Please note that all trainees, regardless of which WPBA programme you are on, need to demonstrate competence in CPR and AED use for all of your placements. This can be demonstrated through either BLS or ALS. Online evidence will remain acceptable during the pandemic.
- All trainees require in date evidence of level 3 safeguarding for both adult and child safeguarding from the start or early part of their training in ST1 and thereafter throughout their training as outlined here: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/training/mrcgp-workplace-based-assessment-wpba/cpr-aed-and-child-safeguarding/child-and-adult-safeguarding.aspx
We have now also all moved onto the new FourteenFish e-portfolio platform. FAQs for FourteenFish can be found here: https://support.fourteenfish.com/hc/en-gb/categories/360000630758-RCGP-Trainee-Portfolio
Further ARCP Guidance
Please note that ST1/2s are still required to provide a CSR for each post/attachment. We do however appreciate that during the Covid-19 situation it may have proved not possible to obtain one for some part of your training. If this is the case, then this must be discussed with your ES and reference to the reason documented in the ESR or Educator notes. The Panel will accept a Covid redeployment as relevant and valid explanation as long as it is clearly referenced in the Educator notes/ESR. In addition, the ARCP panel will expect to see that you have added reflections (such as clinical encounters/professional conversations) to your learning log regarding your redeployment to demonstrate reflection and learning during your placement.
ST3s do not need to have a CSR, although in some cases your ES might provide one in order to provide more information to inform the ESR.
Please note that the requirement for urgent and unscheduled care competency evidence has been re-started following the pause in requirements during the initial pandemic response. There are two documents that need to be completed by the trainee and uploaded to the learning log:
- An UUSC session log sheet to be completed jointly by the GPST and the UUSC Clinical Supervisor and uploaded to the GPST’s e-portfolio
- An UUSC Passport. This is owned and completed by the GPST. It allows a trainee to record their progress in training (to aid communication with their UUSC Clinical Supervisor), and to record their progress towards achieving their UUSC competencies. The latest version of this document should be uploaded to the GSPT e-portfolio prior to an ES review/ARCP.
The UUSC passport is not just a requirement for the final ARCP panel. A copy should be uploaded if you have completed a GP placement within the review period for this ARCP. The panel would not expect the passport to show evidence across all competency areas if it is not your final ARCP but there should be sufficient evidence for the panel to assess progress to date.